Gunnstaks Law Office
Handling High-Value, High-Conflict Family Law Cases

Contact Our Firm Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

How can a jailed parent modify a child support order in Texas?

Child support is one of the most contentious issues during divorce proceedings in Texas. Cases relating to child support can become more complicated in cases where the child is born to unmarried parents. Many times the non-custodial parent who is liable to pay child support may also be in prison. In such cases, child-support orders already issued by the court may need to be modified.

A parent who seeks to change an existing child support order may contact the authorities at the Texas Attorney General's office. For biological parents who are imprisoned, all laws applicable to child support order modification are in force without exception. In order to modify the child support order, an imprisoned biological parent may contact legal aid for professional legal help to change the agreement to reflect his or her present financial condition.

The Texas child support state office has even compiled a handbook for child support order modification enumerating all kinds of situations that one may face after a child-support agreement has been ordered. The handbook specifically lists out the rights and obligations of an imprisoned biological parent. The handbook may also serve as a guide to understand the best way to deal with the situation once the parent is out of jail.

While there is no formal codified manner for a parent to seek child-support modification, the copious paperwork related to pleading for a need for modification may require the help of a lawyer especially in cases where the biological parent is behind bars. Any agreement that has been in place for more than three years which experiences a substantial change in the parents' financial situation may be eligible for child support modification.

Source:, "Changing a child support order in your state," Accessed on Dec. 19, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Press Release
  • Board Certified | Texas Board of Legal Specialization
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb
  • LCA | Litigation Counsel of America | FELLOW Gunnstaks Law Office, Attorneys & Lawyers, Plano, TX 10 Best 2015 Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys

Office Location

Gunnstaks Law Office
5601 Granite Parkway, Suite 350
Plano, TX 75024

Toll Free: 800-806-0186
Phone: 972-590-6572
Phone: 800-806-0186
Fax: 214-619-0636
Plano Law Office Map

Call For Appointment Map