Regardless of the reasons, going through a divorce can be a highly emotional and energy draining process. The time between making the decision to divorce and obtaining a final divorce decree can be long, stressful and difficult, especially in cases involving significant amounts of assets.
The business of obtaining a divorce
In all aspects of your case, remaining cool and rational can help you avoid costly mistakes.
If it helps you, try to view your divorce as a business dissolution as you face the property division aspects of the proceedings. Following are some tips for getting the most of your divorce:
- Check your emotions at the door: Let your attorney do the talking at the negotiation table and in court. No matter how hard you may try to keep you emotions at bay, your children, your home and your future may be at stake. A skilled lawyer will maintain an emotional distance from the facts of your case, allowing him or her to see important aspects and options that you may not notice.
- Assess your own expectations: Carefully review your options with your lawyer so that you are not surprised. Knowing what to expect can also help you provide your legal counsel with helpful information.
- Don't make assumptions: Neither spouse should believe that he or she has or deserves the upper hand during a divorce. Nothing is guaranteed, and assuming you will get everything you want may cause you to overlook important aspects of your claims.
- Be honest: It is never worth the effort - or risk - to try to conceal your financial information. More often than not, the truth will be revealed, thereby putting your own credibility in question.
- Keep a low profile: High profile divorce proceedings that are full of conflict and personal attacks or accusations can disrupt both the personal and professional reputations of those involved. At least for the duration of your divorce, try to maintain a low profile as it may save you time, money and emotional energy. Minimize sharing information on social media.
Hiring the right lawyer
As with any type of legal action, having an experienced and skilled lawyer on your side can make all the difference in your outcome. At Gunnstaks Law Office, it is our goal to help you avoid a lengthy and emotional trial without jeopardizing your rights. Hire an attorney who is a good fit for you so you can for you move on with your life more quickly and with the financial stability you deserve.