Gunnstaks Law Office
Handling High-Value, High-Conflict Family Law Cases

Contact Our Firm Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Your college-aged child might need these legal documents

For many parents, sending an adult child off to college can be emotionally difficult. It is the first time that your child will be on their own for an extended period. College is the time when teenagers experience more independence, taking their first steps into adult life. Naturally, you want to do as much as you can to prepare them for this important step.

Preparing for college can mean a lot more than simply purchasing school supplies, driving them to the campus and helping in setting up their dormitory room. When preparing your adult child for college, you may also want to equip them with a few crucial legal documents.

  1. A HIPAA authorization form
  2. Once your child turns 18, you can no longer access their medical records. However, if your son or daughter signs a HIPAA authorization form, the give you permission to obtain their medical records in case of an emergency;

  3. Health care power of attorney (POA)
  4. In the event of an accident or illness that renders your child incapacitated, a health care POA allows you to make important medical decisions and sign medical consent forms on their behalf; and

  5. Durable power of attorney (POA)
  6. When you need to sign documents on your child's behalf, a durable power of attorney can be very useful. This document allows you to sign documents for your son or daughter, which is especially helpful if their college is far from your home.

Obtaining these legal documents

Getting ahold of these legal documents is not difficult, if you work with an experienced Board-certified family law expert attorney in Collin County, Dallas County, and Denton County, Texas. Knowledgeable family lawyers have the experience and expertise necessary to prepare these documents and ensure that they are legally binding and when your newly-adult child is off to college, preparing these documents can provide much-needed reassurance and protection.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Press Release
  • Board Certified | Texas Board of Legal Specialization
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb
  • LCA | Litigation Counsel of America | FELLOW Gunnstaks Law Office, Attorneys & Lawyers, Plano, TX 10 Best 2015 Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys

Office Location

Gunnstaks Law Office
5601 Granite Parkway, Suite 350
Plano, TX 75024

Toll Free: 800-806-0186
Phone: 972-590-6572
Phone: 800-806-0186
Fax: 214-619-0636
Plano Law Office Map

Call For Appointment Map