Fighting For Our Clients To Get The Property And Parenting Time They Deserve

What happens if my child’s other parent won’t pay child support?

On Behalf of | May 15, 2018 | Firm News |

If you are the custodial parent, you know how important it is to have financial support in order to properly care for your children. The intent of child support is to ensure you can take care of your kids and meet their basic needs. When the other parent refuses to cooperate with the terms of a support order, you may find yourself facing significant financial need.

Texas readers may know it is possible to seek an enforcement of your child support order. Both biological parents have the obligation to financially support their kids until they are 18 years old, and you have the right to make sure the other parent meets his or her obligations. If you have child support concerns, you have the right to seek help and an understanding of your legal options.

Enforcing orders and making the other parent pay

In 1984, a federal law passed that would ensure that custodial parents have a legal way to seek recourse in the event the other parent did not follow the terms of a court-ordered support ruling. Enforcement of child support orders is not an easy process, but it starts with a district attorney serving warning papers to the supporting parent. These papers demand payment and warn of the consequences of continued refusal. 

If the parent refuses to pay after receiving these papers, he or she could face time in jail. Before that, however, there are other ways the court may attempt to seek required child support, such as:

  • Wage garnishment
  • Withholding federal tax return refunds
  • Suspending his or her business or occupational license
  • Seizing personal property
  • Revoking the person’s driver’s license

Even if your child’s other parent moves out of state, it is still possible to seek help with enforcement of child support orders. You would be wise to start with a complete evaluation of your situation in order to better understand this option.

The proper way to address family law concerns

If you have concerns about your options regarding complex family law concerns, you have the right to seek legal help and support. Dealing with child support matters on your own can lead to additional complications in the future.

You need child support in order to care for your kids and pay for things such as food, clothing, medical care and other needs. You do not have to carry the financial burden on your own, but you can take steps to compel the other parent to meet his or her legal obligations. A consultation with an experienced Board-certified Family Law expert attorney should help you understand your legal options, and the relative cost-benefit analyses of these various options.