Fighting For Our Clients To Get The Property And Parenting Time They Deserve

What happens if the other parent refuses to pay child support?

by | Dec 21, 2018 | Firm News |

1) Life after divorce is not always easy for Texas parents. Disputes and hard feelings can continue even after the process is final, and sometimes, these disagreements can spill over into child support and child custody matters. You may be dealing with continued issues after your divorce, especially if the other parent refuses to pay child support as ordered.

2) The intent of child support is to ensure that the children continue to get the support and care they need after divorce without requiring public assistance from the taxpayers. Typically, the non-custodial parent will make payments to the primary custodian of the children. The non-custodial parent may choose to use child support as a weapon to retaliate against the other parent, refusing to pay and abide by the terms of the support order, especially in situations in which the custodial parent may choose to use possession of a child be a weapon to retaliate against the non-custodial parent.

What can you do?

3) If you are the custodial parent, you understand how expensive it can be to pay for the needs of your children on just one income. You need child support to help meet the basic needs of your kids, including child care, payment for extracurricular activities, and the medical care they need. It can be much more than an inconvenience when the other parent refuses to cooperate; – it can be perceived as a threat to the well-being of your children.

4) You have the right to pursue a legal resolution to your concerns. If speaking with the other parent and seeking an out-of-court resolution is not possible, there are other options available to you. Under The Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, the Office of The Attorney General can act on your behalf, filing a lawsuit to compel the other parent to adhere to the terms of the agreement by doing any of the following: 

  • Finding the non-custodial parent in contempt of Court, fining, and jailing that parent
  • Seizing personal property
  • Garnishing wages to make payments
  • Suspending a business license, driver’s license, or other types of occupational or personal licenses
  • Diverting federal tax refunds to the custodial parent

5) You do not have to wait to act on behalf of yourself and your children. You can take immediate action by reaching out for help as soon as it is apparent that an enforcement action may be necessary.

An explanation of your rights

6) It may be helpful for you to seek guidance from an experienced Board-certified Family Law expert attorney in Collin County, Dallas County or Denton County, or elsewhere throughout Texas, regarding the various legal options that may be available to you. A complete assessment of your case can help you understand how to proceed and which course of action gives you the highest chance of successfully obtaining the support you need. Support enforcement is a complex matter, but you do not have to navigate these concerns on your own.